It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Chatter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 pm 
All American

I know there are some Cardinal fans and haters on this board, and BT will probably have something to say but I had to sound off on this.

If anyone wanted an example of how the tail wags the dog look no further than the MLPA and how negtiations are going with Scott Boras over Matt Holliday. The players control this league and tell managment how high to jump. Boras is a master at getting clubs to bid against themselves. He is trying to do just that with the Cardinals. I hope the Cards don't bite. In fact they may have already overbid. Holliday is a good player but the club does not need to handicap itself trying to get a deal with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 am 
NAIA MVP

boras pisses me off, and everyone else who isnt his client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm 
President of Food Talk

I'm interested in reading VSN member reactions to Mark McGwire's interview with Bob Costas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm 
NAIA Legend

I want to like Mark McGuire, but watching his interview with Costas was painful. I think some of the steroids were injected directly into his frontal lobe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:26 am 
NAIA Legend

this is long, i know, but i worked in baseball and spent years at the park so i love the game and have some feelings on the subject...

I've held off on this for a while, mainly b/c I love the Cardinals and McGwire was my hero growing up... but here it is

first, i think we all can admit what he did was wrong... it was cheating even if it was during a time of acceptance, that much is obvious... even though he was a bomber before he started using, i think we can also all agree that steroids obviously increased his numbers by adding strength and giving him more atbats due to a faster healing time... for those that say steroids dont help you make contact, I dont TOTALLY buy that b/c it does increase bat speed and help you get around quicker in order to make contact, although it doesn't help necessarily put the head of the bat on the ball...

I like that he's trying to come out with this, but he's doing it in the wrong way IMO... it really has an undertone of blame... he's trying to pawn it off on anybody or anything but himself... he also keeps saying things like "we all need to move on" etc... he needs to realize that this is going to pass, but its not something he can force to pass by shifting blame... the sooner he takes his lumps without any buts the better

I love the guy, i wanna make that clear... I know he has a history of making good hitters better... the average fan has no idea of that, though, so him coming out and saying he has a god-given swing and that "if the players i teach pick up just one thing out of my vast knowledge of the swing they'll be better hitters" is just too much... he's coming across as an ego-maniac... people on the outside dont understand that ego b/c all they see beyond his homers is his .265 career batting avg and the fact that it was either a homer or a weak flyball or a strikeout with him

HERES WHAT I THINK, THOUGH... Mark McGwire saved baseball... after the strike he brought the casual fan back to the sport... he brought back the casual fans tv viewership, the casual fans money, and filled the stadium with casual fans around the league... the diehards would never have left, but without McGwire baseball would be alongside hockey (or god-forbid soccer) right now... those casual fans, and the increased popularity of the sport, grew a whole new generation of players like Pujols and got them interested, and enticed them with paychecks inflated by the casual fan... baseball loved McGwire no matter what he did... they were willing to overlook everything b/c of what he brought, and now he's being thrown under the bus

because of what he allowed baseball to become, I think he should be allowed a CHANCE to redeem himself... I'm not saying he should be forgiven... I'm not even asking anyone to stop hating him... I'm saying he should be given an opportunity to fail or succeed on his own regardless of his history without being automatically villified

thats my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:42 pm 
All American

I think McGwire will be fine as a hitting coach, If the players can ever get on the field at the same time! Pujols and Holliday are both nursing injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
President of Food Talk

I knew about Poo's nagging back....what is the deal with Holliday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm 
NAIA Legend

Oblique or ribcage strain.

They'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm 
President of Food Talk

I've yet to read up on Holliday's injury. Oblique injuries can be nagging...sort of like a high ankle sprain. They can take a lot of time to heal properly. Coming back too early can set a guy back even longer.

I think Carp was the last Card to get bit by the oblique strain injury - occurred while batting. Took a while for him to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:44 pm 
All American

Pujols played today and singled twice in the Cards exibition win over the 'stros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:38 pm 
NAIA Legend

The interview with Costas is Exhibit "A" as to why lawyers tell their clients to keep their mouths shut. I thought McGwire was a great homerun hitter, with or without steroids. He did cheat though. I don't know if he helped save baseball or not, but his homerun race with Sosa was something very special to follow. Stan Musial, now there was a great hitter, and as far as we know, he did it without cheating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:55 am 
President of Food Talk

Black Cloud Dad wrote:
The interview with Costas is Exhibit "A" as to why lawyers tell their clients to keep their mouths shut. I thought McGwire was a great homerun hitter, with or without steroids. He did cheat though. I don't know if he helped save baseball or not, but his homerun race with Sosa was something very special to follow. Stan Musial, now there was a great hitter, and as far as we know, he did it without cheating!

Were the hundreds of different pitchers that were juicing that McGwire faced throughout the 80's/90's cheating too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
All American

TLR has posted an article about Stan the Man on the lockers at spring training. This is his way of introducing Musial to the young players that may not know about him. Paying attention to the legacy of the Cardinals is one way they continue to promote the team and its history. This is one reason they continue to stay ahead of other mid to low level market teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:52 pm 
NAIA MVP

BUTTHULLMNU92 wrote:
Were the hundreds of different pitchers that were juicing that McGwire faced throughout the 80's/90's cheating too?

Oh spare me, cheating is cheating.
The fact others may have gotten away with it doesn't excuse the ones who got caught.
Tell me Pete Rose is the only manger to bet on baseball games or is it OK because others probably did also?

WARNING... Extreme example to follow....
Is murder and rape OK because others did it and didn't get caught?

We all have to face the ultimate judge in the end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm 
All American

OK, Holliday and Pujols are both back and swinging very well but Carp struggled today and has not looked sharp. (I am not worried about him though) The BP has not been great especially Franklin. (that I am worried about.) Cards should win NL central but one of the young arms will need to do well in a BP role if the Cards want to advance beyond the division.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:02 am 
President of Food Talk

6 BB in 5 IP is not "Carpish".... but, I too, think he will be fine.

Penny and Lohse had good springs, so that is very encouraging. If Garcia continues to trend upward he will be a fantastic #5.

As far as the BP is concerned, I couldn't agree more. Franklin's days are numbered. He's aging and was never fully groomed to be a closer. It's a credit to his competitiveness and willingness to help the team to accept the challenge from TLR and LaRussa to fill the closer role the past few seasons.

Last edited by Hull on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 am 
NAIA Legend

You know, I think the Cubs are going to win the division if the stay healthy this season. I also think the Cards will win the Wild Card. Some things to look out for, the Reds may show some improvement and the Astros always catch fire down the stretch. Fact remains: Cubs/Cards are the teams to beat in the Central.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:11 am 
President of Food Talk

C ompletely
U seless
B y
S eptember

You should know that by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:13 am 
NAIA Legend

I don't have the energy to find the kid to flip you off hull, so this text will have to do.

Remember: next year is here; and you can sing Go Cubs Go with me in October. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 am 
NAIA Legend

atborth wrote:
You know, I think the Cubs are going to win the division if the stay healthy this season. I also think the Cards will win the Wild Card. Some things to look out for, the Reds may show some improvement and the Astros always catch fire down the stretch. Fact remains: Cubs/Cards are the teams to beat in the Central.

CUCK THE FUBS!!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next