It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: New NAIA Schools?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:09 am 
Freshman

Has anyone heard of any colleges or universities the will be joining the NAIA in the next few years?

SUNY-Canton I think will be joining next year. Adding a much needed team to the NorthEast.

Any others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 am 
Freshman

I think the NAIA should focus on recruiting Canadian schools. With a strong Canadian contingent, it would give the NAIA an attractive, unique international feel. And hopefully breath new life into the association.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:09 pm 
All American

West Virginia Tech is coming in this year from Div. II NCAA to play in the mid south conference. I believe the SAC will add a school, but its already in the NAIA. It's Mid-America Christian University from Okahoma City, Oklahoma. Langston came back from the NCAA Div. II to be in the red river conference.

Not sure who else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:37 am 
All American

The SAC is also adding Rogers State University from Claremore, OK. This school is just starting an athletic program, and will be new to the NAIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:43 am 
Freshman

How long has SUNY-Delhi been an NAIA member? I see they are listed on participating schools for swimming, but are still competing NJCAA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:59 pm 
Special Teamer

Northwest Christian College in Eugene, Oregon is/has recently joined the NAIA Div II and will be a member of the Cascade Collegiate Conference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:40 pm 
Special Teamer

stealthrunner wrote:
I think the NAIA should focus on recruiting Canadian schools. With a strong Canadian contingent, it would give the NAIA an attractive, unique international feel. And hopefully breath new life into the association.

Recruiting Canadian schools is a good idea but very difficult logistically if you want to go play there. All players would now have to have a US Passport to reenter the US and if you have any international students on your team the difficulty getting them back and forth across the border is very difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:38 am 
NAIA MVP

In November 2006, Tennessee Temple University confirmed that it would be joining the NAIA and would begin seeking a conference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:28 pm 
NAIA Starter

Back makes good points about passport issues. Also, Canadian schools allow 5 years of eligibility, a move that has been considered by the NAIA, but voted down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 pm 
NAIA MVP

Also, I believe that very few canadian universities offer scholarships.

But that aside. British Columbia has an association of small colleges and large universities that could easily form a NAIA conferences. Canada's problem is that they are not densely populated enough to support many schools, so those that do exist are forced to compete against unlike institutions.

With that said, the large universities could join American conferences such as the Cascade and Frontier while the small ones for a conference of there own. Then maybe the NAIA could be the National Association of International Athletics, giving it a selling point to school that want to seem more worldly, and be even more preferred by international athletes.

The passport issue is more complex, but the NAIA has held championships in Canada in the past, the new rules will make it more difficult but I still think its doable, and most people will have passport soon anyway, I think it may even become a requirement of admissions in some places.

What sucks, is that the NCAA has seized the opportunity that has been available to the NAIA for sometime. In January the NCAA voted to allow Canadian Schools to join, Univ. of BC has already applied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:44 am 
NAIA MVP

Clarke College has applied to rejoin the NAIA from DIII.

Could this be the first of many?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:12 pm 
NAIA MVP

University of South Carolina-Beaufort.

Looks like the NAIA is still growing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:40 pm 
NAIA MVP

stealth wrote:

What Conference? Or will they go the way of Vorheez and be indy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 pm 
NAIA Legend

ssac guy wrote:
stealth wrote:

What Conference? Or will they go the way of Vorheez and be indy?

or maybe DII?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 pm 
NAIA MVP

They are starting there athletic department with only 2 sports cross country and golf. So I guess they are indy, right now. But looking at the website, they appear to have plans to add few more sports very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:49 pm 
NAIA MVP

The website maybe SSAC...I don't know how I feel about that. When and if they start basketball, it will take along time to be competetive especially in SC. That only hurts the rest of the SSAC.

Post subject: linky
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 pm 
NAIA Legend

Twitter: teamvsn
Facebook: vsn.naia
Here's the announcement

http://www.uscbathletics.com/News/mcros ... ath=mcross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:30 pm 
NAIA Legend

The SSAC and FSC are the ONLY conference options for USCB. There really aren't any other conferences that are in their area. The decision is really if they want to be DI or DII. The SSAC might have to accept another weak opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 pm 
NAIA MVP

I don't know about a weak opponent. It is a state school, close to the beach. I'd think it has the possibility of being competitive pretty quickly in a sport like basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:47 am 
NAIA Legend

stealth wrote:
I don't know about a weak opponent. It is a state school, close to the beach. I'd think it has the possibility of being competitive pretty quickly in a sport like basketball.

It won't be hard for them to be competitive in the SSAC as far as being in the middle of the pack, but I don't see them getting near the top that quick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next