It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 151
Location: FLA
Coach Popi Stevens, is leaving the program to take the offensive line job at Point University outside Atlanta, GA. This is a loss to the program because he was responsible for recruiting many players at CMU. Example, he brought in player like Burton Iosefa, and Seta Pohahau. While Seta got hurt early in the season he was a stud, who is back at BYU ( http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13576 ). Iosefa as many of you know was about the only bright spot of the offense this past year. I am assuming that new OC Haines will coach the line, and call the plays. I have also heard rumors that Lindenwood Belleview’s OC this past season may be hired as the quarterbacks coach. This is as of right now only a rumor. CMU did have a few players from Belleview.

_________________
"You can't pitch to Johnny! I'm Johnny!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 151
Location: FLA
Belleviews oc is at cmu.

_________________
"You can't pitch to Johnny! I'm Johnny!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
If they get a good QB for next season, they can be competitive sooner rather than later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 151
Location: FLA
The new qb will be Marler from Belleview last year, is my guess. I know he was the starter when they beat us, not sure about the rest of the season.

_________________
"You can't pitch to Johnny! I'm Johnny!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 151
Location: FLA
Passing G Effic Att Cmp Int Pct Yds TD Long Avg/G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marler, Matthew 5 109.0 122 58 6 0.48 800 6 52 160.0

This is his stats last year at Belleview. Won't know who CMU will march out there until the first game, but this is a likely option.

_________________
"You can't pitch to Johnny! I'm Johnny!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
Marler has some nice ability, but its not a given he will even be on campus next Fall. In the last 18 months he has signed with Benedictine, then decided to sign with Rochester Community College to play JUCO ball, but finally decided to attend Lindenwood-Belleville.

It seems like he can be persuaded to go just about anywhere much like a drunk sorority chick on a Saturday Night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm 
Offline
First Year Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 332
Location: STL
predictionking wrote:
Marler has some nice ability, but its not a given he will even be on campus next Fall. In the last 18 months he has signed with Benedictine, then decided to sign with Rochester Community College to play JUCO ball, but finally decided to attend Lindenwood-Belleville.

It seems like he can be persuaded to go just about anywhere much like a drunk sorority chick on a Saturday Night.


I can confirm, I was the one getting them drunk.


Sounds like a lot of movement and many things to be finalized, but I am happy thus far with a few recruits. I also hope Coach Stevens has future success, he is a true class act as a coach and was a great player.

_________________
"Welcome to the HAAC. We will smash ur face with a car windshield, take ur mother out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again, take candy from babies, steal ur girlfriend, kick ur puppy, urinate on ur couch, force a schoolboy to give up his lunch money.
The best thing about it is that not only will we do it, but we do it well." -007


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
Freshman

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am
Posts: 52
First off it is Lindenwood-BELLEVILLE not belleview. You should remember the name since we beat ya.....lol. Secondly, Marler was Belleville's 3rd stringer due to an injury to our 1st string Kerry Gibson and 2nd string Trey Phipps QB (WHICH IS WHY HE IS PROBABLY LEAVING). Though he was our backup who ended up playing he does have potential as strictly a passing QB (zero mobility) though at times he tends to throw rainbows when he actually possesses a strong arm. Thirdly, Yes....CMU was Marlers best game. Personally I am confused why LUB is losing so many coaches and players as the nucleus was there to build a strong program. Must be an NAIA thing. It is true that they lost their OC Coach Brady and there is rumors they lost their DC Coach Klund (who I loved) to another program but hopefully coach fisher and KG3 (Kerry Gibson) will stick around and stay healthy and they will be just fine as KG3 should be the STUD QB that others should be looking at.

FYI-Dont know if the rumor was posted on this board or not but supposedly LUB officially becomes part of the HAAC in 2014! :thumbsup!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
LUB-NUT wrote:
First off it is Lindenwood-BELLEVILLE not belleview. You should remember the name since we beat ya.....lol. Secondly, Marler was Belleville's 3rd stringer due to an injury to our 1st string Kerry Gibson and 2nd string Trey Phipps QB (WHICH IS WHY HE IS PROBABLY LEAVING). Though he was our backup who ended up playing he does have potential as strictly a passing QB (zero mobility) though at times he tends to throw rainbows when he actually possesses a strong arm. Thirdly, Yes....CMU was Marlers best game. Personally I am confused why LUB is losing so many coaches and players as the nucleus was there to build a strong program. Must be an NAIA thing. It is true that they lost their OC Coach Brady and there is rumors they lost their DC Coach Klund (who I loved) to another program but hopefully coach fisher and KG3 (Kerry Gibson) will stick around and stay healthy and they will be just fine as KG3 should be the STUD QB that others should be looking at.

FYI-Dont know if the rumor was posted on this board or not but supposedly LUB officially becomes part of the HAAC in 2014! :thumbsup!




I've heard the coaches are leaving LU-B for monetary reasons. They're simply getting better opportunities elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 151
Location: FLA
predictionking wrote:
Marler has some nice ability, but its not a given he will even be on campus next Fall. In the last 18 months he has signed with Benedictine, then decided to sign with Rochester Community College to play JUCO ball, but finally decided to attend Lindenwood-Belleville.

It seems like he can be persuaded to go just about anywhere much like a drunk sorority chick on a Saturday Night.


Must have got hammered with 123 being at CMU already. Also it's just plain Belleview, if I had to type out full names of teams that beat us id never finish a post.

_________________
"You can't pitch to Johnny! I'm Johnny!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:54 pm
Posts: 6901
Location: West side, with the LOS
Cool hearing that LU-B will be in the HAAC in a couple years. I'm honestly surprised that the HAAC let another Lindenwood in, but hey, it will make the league better right now and re-expand it's footprint into St. Louis. Actually even a little farther into Souther Illinois. I don't see them leaving anytime soon. I would only get nervous if you saw Big LU decide to make the jump to D1 (which isn't completely unthinkable). I seriously doubt that either school wants the other in the same division.

Where is Klund going? I really would like to see him do well in the coaching ranks. He was a lot of fun to watch during his days as a Lion. I honestly never saw anyone in person that could lay a lick as hard as he could.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
Offline
President of Food Talk

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:09 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Olathe
Belleville's enrollment of 2,300 is already larger than most, if not all, current HAAC schools. Not sure about student profile information i.e. what pctg is communter, traditional, graduate, etc.

If they are like their big brother in St. Chuck, 99.99% of all students participate in some type of athletic program, be it chess club, women's wrestling, roller hockey or the major sports.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline
Freshman

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am
Posts: 52
LUB's Coach Klund was hired to be the Defensive Coordinator/LB coach for D2 Southwest Baptist who just hired Lindenwoods OC Coach Schuler as their head coach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 am 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
bigsig50 wrote:
Cool hearing that LU-B will be in the HAAC in a couple years. I'm honestly surprised that the HAAC let another Lindenwood in, but hey, it will make the league better right now and re-expand it's footprint into St. Louis. Actually even a little farther into Souther Illinois. I don't see them leaving anytime soon. I would only get nervous if you saw Big LU decide to make the jump to D1 (which isn't completely unthinkable). I seriously doubt that either school wants the other in the same division.

Where is Klund going? I really would like to see him do well in the coaching ranks. He was a lot of fun to watch during his days as a Lion. I honestly never saw anyone in person that could lay a lick as hard as he could.



I think we're rushing a bit with some rumored speculation about LU-B's invitation. I've heard Benedictine is still throwing a hissy fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm 
Offline
NAIA Starter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 592
Benedictine is always throwing a Sissy Fit of some kind.

Hope CMU can get over the hump and stay relevant .... they seem to have slid a bit over the last couple of years as compared to the first couple of years under Coach Dykens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:21 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:08 pm
Posts: 5614
Location: Section C Row 24 Seat 3
PK, Benedictine allowed Peru State, a public in, why not LU-B? academic concerns? distance? mission? all of the above?

_________________
Band of Brothers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
B.LynnFouts wrote:
PK, Benedictine allowed Peru State, a public in, why not LU-B? academic concerns? distance? mission? all of the above?



I think its the distance factor. That probably seems silly for schools in the Frontier or other parts of the country, but its a valid point. When you factor in all sports, not just football, it will add a substantial amount of travel costs per year. At some point, you have to ask if the added strain on the budget is worth having the additional league member on the schedule. Then again, Culver probably has 3 or 4 overnight trips per conference season.

It would be similar to Morningside playing at St. Ambrose every other season, but at least once per year in every other sport.

Let's say Benedictine plays at LU-B in football during an academic year. Between, football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, baseball and softball, you're talking about 5 potential trips per year. That would add 1,600 miles of bus charter or gas for your own University vehicles, and potentially 4 extra hotel stays for baseball, softball, football, and soccer. Basketball might make it a one day trip.

Does a school like BC, Baker, MNU, or Peru State have a legit concern? Adding a school like LU-B could add as much as $50,000 in travel, food, and hotel expenses per year.

Ironically, BC has the "deepest pockets" in the HAAC. They can afford the extra budget strains more than any other HAAC school.

I'm kind of speaking in "jest" when I say BC is having a hissy fit. But in all seriousness, I think their concerns are valid. Do the pros outweigh the negatives for adding LU-B? Its an interesting scenario.

However, a school like MNU is in favor of the addition because they love to recruit in the St. Louis Metro area, AND they would rather add another HAAC game in football than search for Out of Conference games. The cost factor evens out in their mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm 
Offline
NAIA MVP

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:34 pm
Posts: 1108
Expenses are a part of any new confernce member being ushered in..but I can understand several schools not wanting them in because of the inherent advantages LU has in recruiting base, resources, etc..

Conference members couldn't wait for LU to leave the confernce the first time..I can't see them just letting them in again.

Why would Culver, Graceland, Avila, Peru St, CMU and perhaps other schools for that matter want to be a doormat for another HAAC foe in football every season and probably other sports as well..

10-confernce teams is an ideal number..scheduling a home-and-home non-confernce game against KCAC schools or other schools would be a nice way to break up the conference monotony for players and fans..

_________________
"If Blue Eyes can kick the ball 10-yards you think one of you bastards can fall on it.."

Paul "Wrecking" Crewe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline
NAIA Legend

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 8461
Location: Johnson County Snob
Haacaway wrote:
Expenses are a part of any new confernce member being ushered in..but I can understand several schools not wanting them in because of the inherent advantages LU has in recruiting base, resources, etc..

Conference members couldn't wait for LU to leave the confernce the first time..I can't see them just letting them in again.

Why would Culver, Graceland, Avila, Peru St, CMU and perhaps other schools for that matter want to be a doormat for another HAAC foe in football every season and probably other sports as well..

10-confernce teams is an ideal number..scheduling a home-and-home non-confernce game against KCAC schools or other schools would be a nice way to break up the conference monotony for players and fans..



LU-B may have some financial advantages, but like I've said before, I think there are some very DISTINCT advantages for LU-St Charles that LU-B will never EVER be able to replicate.

1. Campus - The St. Charles Campus is beautiful and has over a century of history. It offers a collegial feel more than any HAAC school other than BC. The LU-B campus is a converted high school with a former Hotel being used as a Dorm. I checked the place out a few months ago, and it would easily be the least aesthetic campus in the HAAC.

2. Facilities- I'm sure the LU system will pump a lot of money into LU-B's facilities, but they are 30 years behind LU-St Chuck, and it be years before they even come close to where LU-St chuck was more than a decade ago.

3. Location,Location, Location- Belleville is obviously located near the Lou, but It is not St. Charles. The St. Chuck campus is 15 minutes in any direction from everything. Its easier to recruit to St. Charles than potentially any other school in the NAIA. I've made the argument with some of my D-II buddies that Lindenwood will become a D-II power almost solely because of their location and inherent recruiting advantages.


Lindenwood University of St. Charles, MO is a giant. They are a monster capable of winning at a high level at the NCAA D-II level. But they have some substantial advantages that their little sister school in Belleville will never be able to replicate. I think LU-B can become a competitive program in multiple sports because of the financial backing. However, they are a million miles away from their big brother.

I don't think the rest of the HAAC should be concerned about LU-B like they were about LU- St. Chuck..... well unless you're Central Methodist or Avila.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 am 
Offline
Special Teamer
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:54 am
Posts: 150
predictionking wrote:
I'm kind of speaking in "jest" when I say BC is having a hissy fit. But in all seriousness, I think their concerns are valid. Do the pros outweigh the negatives for adding LU-B? Its an interesting scenario.


From a financial point of view do you think the Mid States conference would make more sense and be a better fit for us? Would there be resistance from their members for allowing us in?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Template made by TBF Photoshop Forum
Victory Sports Network - PO BOX 5384 - Grand Island, NE 68802 - 308 383-1431 - mail@victorysportsnetwork.com