It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm 
Special Teamer

Coach Popi Stevens, is leaving the program to take the offensive line job at Point University outside Atlanta, GA. This is a loss to the program because he was responsible for recruiting many players at CMU. Example, he brought in player like Burton Iosefa, and Seta Pohahau. While Seta got hurt early in the season he was a stud, who is back at BYU ( http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13576 ). Iosefa as many of you know was about the only bright spot of the offense this past year. I am assuming that new OC Haines will coach the line, and call the plays. I have also heard rumors that Lindenwood Belleview’s OC this past season may be hired as the quarterbacks coach. This is as of right now only a rumor. CMU did have a few players from Belleview.

Post subject: Re: More change at CMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Special Teamer

Belleviews oc is at cmu.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
NAIA Legend

If they get a good QB for next season, they can be competitive sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm 
Special Teamer

The new qb will be Marler from Belleview last year, is my guess. I know he was the starter when they beat us, not sure about the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am 
Special Teamer

Passing G Effic Att Cmp Int Pct Yds TD Long Avg/G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marler, Matthew 5 109.0 122 58 6 0.48 800 6 52 160.0

This is his stats last year at Belleview. Won't know who CMU will march out there until the first game, but this is a likely option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm 
NAIA Legend

Marler has some nice ability, but its not a given he will even be on campus next Fall. In the last 18 months he has signed with Benedictine, then decided to sign with Rochester Community College to play JUCO ball, but finally decided to attend Lindenwood-Belleville.

It seems like he can be persuaded to go just about anywhere much like a drunk sorority chick on a Saturday Night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm 
First Year Starter

predictionking wrote:
Marler has some nice ability, but its not a given he will even be on campus next Fall. In the last 18 months he has signed with Benedictine, then decided to sign with Rochester Community College to play JUCO ball, but finally decided to attend Lindenwood-Belleville.

It seems like he can be persuaded to go just about anywhere much like a drunk sorority chick on a Saturday Night.

I can confirm, I was the one getting them drunk.

Sounds like a lot of movement and many things to be finalized, but I am happy thus far with a few recruits. I also hope Coach Stevens has future success, he is a true class act as a coach and was a great player.

"Welcome to the HAAC. We will smash ur face with a car windshield, take ur mother out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again, take candy from babies, steal ur girlfriend, kick ur puppy, urinate on ur couch, force a schoolboy to give up his lunch money.
The best thing about it is that not only will we do it, but we do it well." -007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm 
Freshman

First off it is Lindenwood-BELLEVILLE not belleview. You should remember the name since we beat ya.....lol. Secondly, Marler was Belleville's 3rd stringer due to an injury to our 1st string Kerry Gibson and 2nd string Trey Phipps QB (WHICH IS WHY HE IS PROBABLY LEAVING). Though he was our backup who ended up playing he does have potential as strictly a passing QB (zero mobility) though at times he tends to throw rainbows when he actually possesses a strong arm. Thirdly, Yes....CMU was Marlers best game. Personally I am confused why LUB is losing so many coaches and players as the nucleus was there to build a strong program. Must be an NAIA thing. It is true that they lost their OC Coach Brady and there is rumors they lost their DC Coach Klund (who I loved) to another program but hopefully coach fisher and KG3 (Kerry Gibson) will stick around and stay healthy and they will be just fine as KG3 should be the STUD QB that others should be looking at.

FYI-Dont know if the rumor was posted on this board or not but supposedly LUB officially becomes part of the HAAC in 2014! :thumbsup!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm 
NAIA Legend

LUB-NUT wrote:
First off it is Lindenwood-BELLEVILLE not belleview. You should remember the name since we beat ya.....lol. Secondly, Marler was Belleville's 3rd stringer due to an injury to our 1st string Kerry Gibson and 2nd string Trey Phipps QB (WHICH IS WHY HE IS PROBABLY LEAVING). Though he was our backup who ended up playing he does have potential as strictly a passing QB (zero mobility) though at times he tends to throw rainbows when he actually possesses a strong arm. Thirdly, Yes....CMU was Marlers best game. Personally I am confused why LUB is losing so many coaches and players as the nucleus was there to build a strong program. Must be an NAIA thing. It is true that they lost their OC Coach Brady and there is rumors they lost their DC Coach Klund (who I loved) to another program but hopefully coach fisher and KG3 (Kerry Gibson) will stick around and stay healthy and they will be just fine as KG3 should be the STUD QB that others should be looking at.

FYI-Dont know if the rumor was posted on this board or not but supposedly LUB officially becomes part of the HAAC in 2014! :thumbsup!

I've heard the coaches are leaving LU-B for monetary reasons. They're simply getting better opportunities elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm 
Special Teamer

predictionking wrote:

Must have got hammered with 123 being at CMU already. Also it's just plain Belleview, if I had to type out full names of teams that beat us id never finish a post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
NAIA Legend

Cool hearing that LU-B will be in the HAAC in a couple years. I'm honestly surprised that the HAAC let another Lindenwood in, but hey, it will make the league better right now and re-expand it's footprint into St. Louis. Actually even a little farther into Souther Illinois. I don't see them leaving anytime soon. I would only get nervous if you saw Big LU decide to make the jump to D1 (which isn't completely unthinkable). I seriously doubt that either school wants the other in the same division.

Where is Klund going? I really would like to see him do well in the coaching ranks. He was a lot of fun to watch during his days as a Lion. I honestly never saw anyone in person that could lay a lick as hard as he could.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
President of Food Talk

Belleville's enrollment of 2,300 is already larger than most, if not all, current HAAC schools. Not sure about student profile information i.e. what pctg is communter, traditional, graduate, etc.

If they are like their big brother in St. Chuck, 99.99% of all students participate in some type of athletic program, be it chess club, women's wrestling, roller hockey or the major sports.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Freshman

LUB's Coach Klund was hired to be the Defensive Coordinator/LB coach for D2 Southwest Baptist who just hired Lindenwoods OC Coach Schuler as their head coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 am 
NAIA Legend

bigsig50 wrote:
Cool hearing that LU-B will be in the HAAC in a couple years. I'm honestly surprised that the HAAC let another Lindenwood in, but hey, it will make the league better right now and re-expand it's footprint into St. Louis. Actually even a little farther into Souther Illinois. I don't see them leaving anytime soon. I would only get nervous if you saw Big LU decide to make the jump to D1 (which isn't completely unthinkable). I seriously doubt that either school wants the other in the same division.

Where is Klund going? I really would like to see him do well in the coaching ranks. He was a lot of fun to watch during his days as a Lion. I honestly never saw anyone in person that could lay a lick as hard as he could.

I think we're rushing a bit with some rumored speculation about LU-B's invitation. I've heard Benedictine is still throwing a hissy fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm 
NAIA Starter

Benedictine is always throwing a Sissy Fit of some kind.

Hope CMU can get over the hump and stay relevant .... they seem to have slid a bit over the last couple of years as compared to the first couple of years under Coach Dykens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:21 pm 
NAIA Legend

PK, Benedictine allowed Peru State, a public in, why not LU-B? academic concerns? distance? mission? all of the above?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:05 pm 
NAIA Legend

B.LynnFouts wrote:
PK, Benedictine allowed Peru State, a public in, why not LU-B? academic concerns? distance? mission? all of the above?

I think its the distance factor. That probably seems silly for schools in the Frontier or other parts of the country, but its a valid point. When you factor in all sports, not just football, it will add a substantial amount of travel costs per year. At some point, you have to ask if the added strain on the budget is worth having the additional league member on the schedule. Then again, Culver probably has 3 or 4 overnight trips per conference season.

It would be similar to Morningside playing at St. Ambrose every other season, but at least once per year in every other sport.

Let's say Benedictine plays at LU-B in football during an academic year. Between, football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, baseball and softball, you're talking about 5 potential trips per year. That would add 1,600 miles of bus charter or gas for your own University vehicles, and potentially 4 extra hotel stays for baseball, softball, football, and soccer. Basketball might make it a one day trip.

Does a school like BC, Baker, MNU, or Peru State have a legit concern? Adding a school like LU-B could add as much as $50,000 in travel, food, and hotel expenses per year.

Ironically, BC has the "deepest pockets" in the HAAC. They can afford the extra budget strains more than any other HAAC school.

I'm kind of speaking in "jest" when I say BC is having a hissy fit. But in all seriousness, I think their concerns are valid. Do the pros outweigh the negatives for adding LU-B? Its an interesting scenario.

However, a school like MNU is in favor of the addition because they love to recruit in the St. Louis Metro area, AND they would rather add another HAAC game in football than search for Out of Conference games. The cost factor evens out in their mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm 
NAIA MVP

Expenses are a part of any new confernce member being ushered in..but I can understand several schools not wanting them in because of the inherent advantages LU has in recruiting base, resources, etc..

Conference members couldn't wait for LU to leave the confernce the first time..I can't see them just letting them in again.

Why would Culver, Graceland, Avila, Peru St, CMU and perhaps other schools for that matter want to be a doormat for another HAAC foe in football every season and probably other sports as well..

10-confernce teams is an ideal number..scheduling a home-and-home non-confernce game against KCAC schools or other schools would be a nice way to break up the conference monotony for players and fans..

Paul "Wrecking" Crewe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
NAIA Legend

Haacaway wrote:
Expenses are a part of any new confernce member being ushered in..but I can understand several schools not wanting them in because of the inherent advantages LU has in recruiting base, resources, etc..

Conference members couldn't wait for LU to leave the confernce the first time..I can't see them just letting them in again.

Why would Culver, Graceland, Avila, Peru St, CMU and perhaps other schools for that matter want to be a doormat for another HAAC foe in football every season and probably other sports as well..

10-confernce teams is an ideal number..scheduling a home-and-home non-confernce game against KCAC schools or other schools would be a nice way to break up the conference monotony for players and fans..

LU-B may have some financial advantages, but like I've said before, I think there are some very DISTINCT advantages for LU-St Charles that LU-B will never EVER be able to replicate.

1. Campus - The St. Charles Campus is beautiful and has over a century of history. It offers a collegial feel more than any HAAC school other than BC. The LU-B campus is a converted high school with a former Hotel being used as a Dorm. I checked the place out a few months ago, and it would easily be the least aesthetic campus in the HAAC.

2. Facilities- I'm sure the LU system will pump a lot of money into LU-B's facilities, but they are 30 years behind LU-St Chuck, and it be years before they even come close to where LU-St chuck was more than a decade ago.

3. Location,Location, Location- Belleville is obviously located near the Lou, but It is not St. Charles. The St. Chuck campus is 15 minutes in any direction from everything. Its easier to recruit to St. Charles than potentially any other school in the NAIA. I've made the argument with some of my D-II buddies that Lindenwood will become a D-II power almost solely because of their location and inherent recruiting advantages.

Lindenwood University of St. Charles, MO is a giant. They are a monster capable of winning at a high level at the NCAA D-II level. But they have some substantial advantages that their little sister school in Belleville will never be able to replicate. I think LU-B can become a competitive program in multiple sports because of the financial backing. However, they are a million miles away from their big brother.

I don't think the rest of the HAAC should be concerned about LU-B like they were about LU- St. Chuck..... well unless you're Central Methodist or Avila.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 am 
Special Teamer

predictionking wrote:
I'm kind of speaking in "jest" when I say BC is having a hissy fit. But in all seriousness, I think their concerns are valid. Do the pros outweigh the negatives for adding LU-B? Its an interesting scenario.

From a financial point of view do you think the Mid States conference would make more sense and be a better fit for us? Would there be resistance from their members for allowing us in?