It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MNU 2013 Recruits.... (so far)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm 
NAIA Legend

Judging by this class its pretty clear what MNU intends to do on offense next season. MNU will likely sign another 15-20 players between now and August.

http://www.mnusports.com/news/2013/2/12 ... 32814.aspx

Post subject: Re: MNU 2013 Recruits.... (so far)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 am 
NAIA Legend

MNU will return All-Conference WR LaDon Hudson, after he caught something like 13 Touchdowns in 2012.

They will also bring back WR Taylor Davis, a transfer from Wyoming. Davis, broke an arm or collarbone or something in late August and wasn't able to play until late October.

Those two mentioned above will join some very impressive redshirt freshmen receivers whom would've played as true freshmen were it not for 4 Senior Wideouts.

Vogelsmeier from Ray-Pec, redshirted at Missouri-Western last season. He was a finalist for the Otis Taylor award as a Senior in high school and recruited by virtually the whole MIAA out of high school. He was slotted to earn PT next year at Mo. West, but quite simply wanted to pursue a Christian education. MNU is very lucky that he kind of fell into their laps.

Michael Lindsay, was the #1 Kick Returner at Sioux Falls last year. He averaged over 24 yards per kick. He was a JUCO teammate of MNU's LaDon Hudson and Donte Wade, whom happen to be brothers. Lindsay will give MNU's return game a much needed shot in the arm as it was rather "ho-hum" last season. He should also be able to provide the Pioneers with some speed out of the slot. Lindsay has joined his buddies and MNU is again reaping some fortuitous luck. He will be a great player in the NAIA.

AJ Benson, a JUCO transfer from Southwestern College will provide MNU another option out of the slot and in the return game. He was going to enroll at Doane up in Nebraska, but MNU was able to change his mind after they demonstrated their plans for the offense.

Jacob Adelman can flat out run and had some very impressive Safety film from Bakersfield CC. He was a Redshirt DB last year at SW Baptist. MNU is giving him the opportunity to play Receiver. On film, he reminds me of former Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick.

TE Zach Brandsted will also be added to the mix.

That group of wideouts/receivers plus QB Trent Hedlund's skill set makes it pretty obvious what MNU has in store for 2013.

But... it won't matter much if they don't get bigger, faster, and stronger along the D-line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm 
NAIA MVP

I'm not thrilled. The last time we had a loaded passing offense like this, we got waxed up in the snow in the 2nd round.

Now that team (09) didn't have Greg Gates...so the offense should be fine. But offense has never been an issue. We need some run-stoppers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:59 pm 
NAIA Legend

HAACdaddy wrote:
I'm not thrilled. The last time we had a loaded passing offense like this, we got waxed up in the snow in the 2nd round.

Now that team (09) didn't have Greg Gates...so the offense should be fine. But offense has never been an issue. We need some run-stoppers.

I wouldn't worry about the playoffs. That trip to Tabor will put a stop to MNU's postseason hopes early on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm 
NAIA Legend

I see that your schedule lists the 9/14 game at Tabor as the first game of the year. Is that the case? I thought that they had an earlier game in the past. Or is MNU still negotiating an earlier possible game?

Tabor is notoriously slow on posting their schedule so I have no clue if they plan on an earlier game than this one or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 pm 
NAIA Legend

If MNU wants to avoid a potential meltdown season, they better schedule a home game before Tabor. MNU plays, @ Tabor, @ Valley, Evangel at home, and @ Baker to.start the season. An 0-4 start is very possible. Heck, they get Peru State in game 5, and then play at benedictine. MNU could seriously be staring at a 1-5 record by mid October.

That's a rough schedule to be breaking in a New QB, even if he does possess a right ARM touched by the tears of Jesus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 am 
NAIA Legend

When do all the d1 dropouts get listed? I guess usually after they get their grades for the spring semester. I only see a couple of guys who are on their 3rd or 4th school, so I guess they either got left off or will be announced later?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 am 
NAIA Legend

That's pretty ignorant. Everyone knows the D-I academic casualties don't show up until August. But they're all going to Faulkner and William Penn now. Those schools have carried the torch that NWOSU and Lindenwood lit for the rest of the NAIA world.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
NAIA Legend

Pk, you are right. I really wasn't thinking there. Haven't seen Penn's roster, but Faulkner....good lord. One would think they would be a better team. At least Penn wins a lot of games as of late.

As far as lu and nwo, they may have carried the torch, but they certainly didn't start the fire. The naia has been d1 drop out paradise since day 1. It's just that so many of the old teams have moved on.

So, keep us posted come August.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 pm 
NAIA MVP

Twitter: @kmnubooth
Why are they playing in Atchison two years in a row? And Evangel coming up to Olathe for the second season?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 am 
NAIA MVP

Benedictine homecoming in consecutive seasons.

I haven't heard why the schedule is like this. I think they've reset the matrix.

I also think Tabor will be the opener. The posted schedule is the schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 pm 
First Year Starter

PbP wrote:
Why are they playing in Atchison two years in a row? And Evangel coming up to Olathe for the second season?

This has happened a time or two in the past. Not sure why.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm 
NAIA Legend

The HAAC schedule has flipped twice in the last decade. I'm sure there is a method to that madness, but I never really cared enough to study the system. However, I do know when the HAAC "flipped the schedule" in the past, they flipped the whole thing.

For instance, all the road games and home games were the same in back to back years when they did this in the past. I don't understand why the Evangel and Benedictine games are the same in 2013, but Valley, Baker, Central Methodist, and Peru State are switched.

The other thing which really annoys me about HAAC football schedules is why they are trying to play all the potential matchups between "playoff" teams at the beginnning of the season again. Grow some balls HAAC.

I understand why they're doing it. The NAIA ratings system is a fraud. If you lose early, you can overcome those losses and earn a playoff bid. If you lose late, you can play yourself out of the playoffs despite deserving a playoff bid.

Playoff teams SHOULD be playing their best football of the season at the end of the year. The top teams in the league should not be facing each other in week 2. That's unfair to the teams, the fans, and does those teams no favors for the postseason.

Post subject: Updated MNU recruiting class....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:29 pm 
NAIA Legend

Former Olathe East Star signs with MNU

It looks like there are a few more signees listed including former Olathe East All Everything DB DeRahn Williams whose transferring from Butler Community College where he was a Return man extraordinaire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYRgJreQzzQ

Juco Teammates and former California Prep Stars join MNU

They've also added two more former All-CIF players from California via the JUCO route in Offensive Guard Jose Carrillo, a 6'2 260 lb 2 year starter at Allan Hancock College.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/842127/highlights/33020838

RB and Return man Marcell Blow, whom averaged more than 25 yards per return at 5'8 200. Blow, will play multiple rolls for MNU in the return game, RB, and even out in the slot.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1763495/highlights/46330375

Two former Pioneers return to MNU

6'2 205lb Linebacker Sam Keaster, spent his freshman season at MNU back in 2011. He then transferred to the University of Montana and walked on to their football team for the 2012 season. Their weight program is clearly superior as he came back to MNU having grown about 2 inches and 25 lbs of muscle.

5'11 200lb LB Devon Hall spent 2010 at MNU, but transferred to Moorpark Community College. He started at Tailback for Moorpark in 2011, did not play last season, and is returning back to MNU where he will play on the defensive side of the ball. Here are his offensive highlights from Moorpark:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/61429/highlights/9138384

MNU signs four of Defensive tackles, one of their biggest positions of need:

Anthony Ford is a 6'1 275 lb All-District and All-Conference and 2 year starter at tackle for Oklahoma 6A power Broken Arrow HS. Ford played both ways starring at Guard and DT along with some snaps at Fullback.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/678900/highlights/15325379

6'0 270 lb Tackle Hunter Montgomery was a 2-year Starter and All-District Tackle on both sides of the line of Scrimmage out of Skyview High School in Nampa, ID. Montgomery also played QB in the Wildcat during short yardage situations.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/420762/highlights/32153381

6'2 290 lb DT Tyler Renollet was a 1st Team All-State Tackle for 2A power in Washington State, Prosser High School

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/914929/highlights/40527459

The potential steal of the class hails from Florida 8A and Miami Killian High School. MNU was fortunate to haul in this player because he was told repeatedly by D1 programs that he is too small.

6'1 250 NG and DE Jerome Wiggins was named 3rd Team All 8A in Florida, and All Dade County. Personally, I think he looks like a devistating blocker, but MNU wants him on the defensive side of the football. His highlight film looks like it may have been produced by Spielberg... lol... Its just well produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiXR5amO9Rs

Top JUCO Center in Northern California signs with the Pioneers

6'1 255 lb Center Nate Livingston was a 2 year starter and 1st Team All Valley Conference at Sierra College. Livingston, a devistating run blocker with the ability to pull and get to the edge from the center position fell to MNU again due to bigger schools saying no thanks because of his size, despite his dominant play at the JUCO level. Livingston will start from day one at MNU.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2142300/highlights/21433378

1st Team All State Missouri 5A linebacker inks with MNU

Logan Smith, a 6'3 225 Middle Linebacker and multiple year starter from Ray-Pec chose MNU after receiving dozens of offers from NAIA, JUCO, and D2 programs all over Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/204714/highlights/26353390

Here's a link to the full class. I'm sure more dudes will be added as we go along:

http://www.mnusports.com/news/2013/2/12 ... 32814.aspx

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:35 am 
NAIA Legend

Wow, very impressive! Glad i came back on here to read about the updated recruits for MNU!

Fear the Neer'!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 am 
Freshman

Facebook: MU Tiger
it looks as if the MNU coaches addressed the run defense with this signing class. The offense is absolutely loaded with playmakers. Hudson, Davis, Lindsay, Kirkwood and Gates can all take it to the house on any given play. It will be exciting to see Davis and Lindsay in the return game as well. They have great open field skills with thier quickness. So MNU will score a ton of points, and the defense has some returning stud as well, with Camacho, Cobb, Wade, Vargas and some skilled DB's. Even though the schedule looks tough, I think MNU has the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:45 am 
NAIA Legend

tiger wrote:
it looks as if the MNU coaches addressed the run defense with this signing class. The offense is absolutely loaded with playmakers. Hudson, Davis, Lindsay, Kirkwood and Gates can all take it to the house on any given play. It will be exciting to see Davis and Lindsay in the return game as well. They have great open field skills with thier quickness. So MNU will score a ton of points, and the defense has some returning stud as well, with Camacho, Cobb, Wade, Vargas and some skilled DB's. Even though the schedule looks tough, I think MNU has the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Its all about the QB. Hedlund's ability to command the offense along with the o-lines ability to gel will determine the team's chances to compete early. The schedule is challenging regardless, but its compounded by the innexperience at QB and the O-line.

The talent is definitely there for a scary offense, but having great "pieces" is only part of the puzzle.

Anytime a college football team goes into a new season with a New QB and 4 new offensive linemen, there are usually growing pains. There are positives to MNU's situation. Despite Hedlund's inexperience, this will be his 3rd year in the program. He clearly knows the system and certainly has plenty of talent. But He hasn't faced too many "live bullets."

Having Greg Gates will sure help things... a lot. If Hedlund can make the right decisions, he will certainly have dudes open. LaDon Hudson is a touchdown machine, and almost impossible to cover.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 am 
Freshman

Facebook: MU Tiger
I have heard that MNU has had a couple of transfers added on the o-line from KU, they were at the Spring Game and they were enormous, but I don't know if they actually transfered. Also, as far as a back-up to Gates at Running Back, I have heard some good things about Erik May this spring a huge rb with some quickness, he needs to run hard every carry and not fumble. Has anyone heard anymore about some big run stopping Nose Tackles? MNU has to solve that problem. The defensive LB and DB's will be among the best in the Heart of America. But MNU had a lot of trouble with teams that ran the ball well last year. MNU may just need to score about 50 a game (which they may).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 pm 
NAIA Legend

tiger wrote:
I have heard that MNU has had a couple of transfers added on the o-line from KU, they were at the Spring Game and they were enormous, but I don't know if they actually transfered. Also, as far as a back-up to Gates at Running Back, I have heard some good things about Erik May this spring a huge rb with some quickness, he needs to run hard every carry and not fumble. Has anyone heard anymore about some big run stopping Nose Tackles? MNU has to solve that problem. The defensive LB and DB's will be among the best in the Heart of America. But MNU had a lot of trouble with teams that ran the ball well last year. MNU may just need to score about 50 a game (which they may).

I'm not aware of any KU offensive linemen transfers specifically. I do know some of the "enormous" dudes whom watched at the Spring game were probably local dudes whom came to MNU in order to watch some of their hs buddies whom played for MNU. In fact, I'm pretty sure I know whom the dudes were from KU, and they both will be starting this fall for the Jayhawks.

Now fwiw, I've heard MNU might be adding a couple more transfer linemen. I'm not sure they have any proven offensive tackles on the roster, and that's always a challenge.

As for the Dtackle position... yes they definitely need a a run stopper or two or three.