It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lee/Temple rivalry
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm 
NAIA MVP

hey guys!! Its been a REALLY long time but I am back on!! If you all noticed, Temple had one HELL of a season!! They started out the year 9-11, and it appeared they were going to have a rough year, but then a light switch flipped on and the Crusaders went 14-2 the rest of the season; including a 13 game win streak, they made the NCCAA nationals for the first time in 10 yrs; had a rough 2 games against Cedarville and Spring Arbor and then won easily against Roberts Wesleyan..Temple ended the year 23-13. I know next season Temple and Lee will be an exhibition, but they have gotten REALLY good lately, and next yr should be good too. I wish Lee the best in NCAA competition..they wont have a record like this yr, but they should be ok in a couple years. Anyone know why the Transouth was dissolved?? That is so interesting!!! Where are all the teams from that conference going to go??

Post subject: Re: Lee/Temple rivalry
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm 
NAIA MVP

TranSouth is dead because Union, Lyon, and Cumberland left last year. Trevecca is going D-2. Bethel, Martin Methodist, and Blue Mountain are heading to the SSAC and Freed to AMC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
NAIA Legend

Twitter: teamvsn
Facebook: vsn.naia
Will Life be independent again? Mid Continent?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:25 pm 
NAIA MVP

I think Mid Continent already said they were going to the AMC with Freed-Hardeman. That will strengthen that conference with Columbia and Park. They will now get 2 teams to KC automatically.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 pm 
NAIA MVP

I believe Mid Continent is going to the Mid South Conference I heard it on the broadcast of the NCCAA Mid East Region title game...anyone have any guesses as to how Lee will fare next season in NCAA competition?? I know it will be a much rougher season then this yr was...they will take their lumps next season as they transition...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:15 pm 
NAIA MVP

I think we'll be OK. Of course there are new teams to get used to and a lot of travel, but Shorter finished in the middle of the pack in conference and racked up 18 wins and Union finished last. I think it will be tougher because there are no nights off in conference.

The women's team may win or at least compete at the very top of the conference like Union and Shorter did this year.

We've enjoyed SSAC play and the NAIA. I know I will miss the tournaments (which I've gotten to go to some). I've enjoyed this board for several years, but we look forward to new rivalries and rekindling old ones with Shorter and Union on the men's and women's side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm 
NAIA MVP

the Shorter men went on to win the NCCAA national title this season...I kinda figured they would based on their talent and the teams in the nationals this yr in the NCCAA...they prob will be a factor again next season...if you know about Lee joining the NCCAA for a couple years, let me know...will be interesting to see if they do and where they would go..if they were to join the Mid-East region with Temple, that WOULD be one INTERESTING region tournament next spring!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm 
NAIA MVP

I think the plan is to join the NCCAA for a season or two for post season play, but I'm not sure what region.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm 
NAIA MVP

my bet is they will go to the Mid East Region since they are only 25 miles away from Chattanooga they are too far north to go to the South Region..if they were sent there they would DESTROY the competition in that region tournament and make the nationals for sure...but yeah I do see Lee in the NCCAA nationals next season if they are in a different region then Temple..if both are in the same region then it could come down to a region title game and then the rivalry would REALLY be rekindled once again!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 pm 
NAIA Legend

Twitter: teamvsn
Facebook: vsn.naia
It depends on the strategy they take. The three models I am seeing in the former GSAC schools are:

* Aggressive now, example Fresno: They didn't have a name previously so they have to stake their claim immediately or be looked at as a 3rd tier competitor. They had a fantastic recruiting year and finished near the top of the Pac West conference, even though ineligible for post season.

* No change, example Cal Baptist: With great existing NAIA recruits, play as normal and finish well, while recruiting for the future. Expect to be down years 2-3.

* Plan for eligibility, Azusa and Loma: redshirt your best players and recruits so that they are eligible when program is post season eligible, and recruit young players to build the program.

So, Lee may sit a bunch of players, recruit incoming freshmen and focus on the 2016 tournaments.