It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Georgetown College 2013 schedule
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am 
Freshman

http://www.georgetowncollegeathletics.com/article/1418.php

Looks like the tigers are testing how they will fair in the DII scene?

Post subject: Re: Georgetown College 2013 schedule
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am 
NAIA Legend

Twitter: teamvsn
Facebook: vsn.naia
Don't think so. They seem to have dropped their plans to go NCAA. The President who wanted to go is no longer there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:18 pm 
Freshman

I know former president Crouch resigned and that he was the driving factor in initiation of the affiliation trying to get the Phi Betta Kappa status. Did not know though if the colleges intentions were to remain in NAIA or explore growth into NCAA? The Ohio Dom game is an interesting match up from an NAIA vs. DII perspective. Any one have info on Ohio Dom, Schemes, players...ect? Looks like a solid record but i dont know much about their strength of schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm 
NAIA Legend

You won't get many here agreeing with your idea that NCAA = growth. :) It's a sideways step at best. You are right that their pursuit of NCAA was tied to Phi Beta Kappa, and that was an obsession with Crouch. However it isn't true that PBK requires NCAA membership, that was just the straw Crouch was grasping at. And the NCAA rejected Georgetown outright, having not even bothered to get a consultant and do an initial study. I don't think Georgetown will be looking at the NCAA any time soon, because if they do the NCAA will be looking askance at them.

If they do try and move and step into the G-MAC it might be a step down. And regardless of which conference they go to, if they don't fund it adequately it will be a major step down for them in athletic prowess. All their money will go towards administration of the program; they will have to increase funding substantially to maintain the same level of scholarships.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm 
Freshman

Thanks for the insight Bronto,

I agree it would be a lateral step at best. I should have chosen my words more carefully. Mabey insted of Growth I should have used exposure. With out this site I would have no NAIA information other than scores. I like the fact that G'town is going out and playing a DII opponet, I wished that we would have done that during my time there. Would be nice to see a lot more NAIA schools in the top tier stepping up aganist the other league. Makes for intresting conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm 
NAIA Legend

D2 schools are ignored by the media as well, unless they are winning. And then even only locally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 am 
First Year Starter

Cumberland University opens their season at Div I FCS Tennessee Tech.
Just FYI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am 
Freshman

66in74 wrote:
Just FYI.

How will the bulldogs stack up, looks like Tech is near the bottom of the OVC. Seems like Cumberland and had some solid teams lately mabey not the season they wanted last year but still a solid group. I really like seeing across division match ups.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am 
First Year Starter

Dayman wrote:
66in74 wrote:
Just FYI.

How will the bulldogs stack up, looks like Tech is near the bottom of the OVC. Seems like Cumberland and had some solid teams lately mabey not the season they wanted last year but still a solid group. I really like seeing across division match ups.

Alot of questions to be answered about the Dawgs. New Head Coach, New OC, New offensive scheme, alot of starters lost on defense.............?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
Freshman

And Campbellsville plays @ D1 Murray State Sept, 7. Not the opener for either team. Murray opens a week earlier against ....Missouri!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:18 pm 
Freshman

AFAIK There are two NCAA D2 football programs in Kentucky - very mediocre Kentucky State and Ky. Wesleyan, and you basically would not know that either of those schools played football if you just based in on the statewide press coverage they receive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am 
Freshman

JasonM wrote:
AFAIK There are two NCAA D2 football programs in Kentucky - very mediocre Kentucky State and Ky. Wesleyan, and you basically would not know that either of those schools played football if you just based in on the statewide press coverage they receive.

Your right in that fact. I guess in my current location (upstate sc) local television covers most of the small college football quite well and all are NCAA. There are no NAIA teams in my area so I made a poor assumption on larger regional coverages. I guess it boils down to the local networks and schools. I do whatch the Georgetown feeds from ihigh, which leaves a little to be desired but hey better than nothing.

Last edited by Dayman on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am 
Freshman

JasonM wrote:
And Campbellsville plays @ D1 Murray State Sept, 7. Not the opener for either team. Murray opens a week earlier against ....Missouri!!

That could be an ugly one. Campbellsville better hope Missouri takes alot out of the racers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 am 
Freshman

Some refer to these David-Goliath contests as "money games."