It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Early Fall Predictions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am 
Freshman

In Reply to Barry's thoughts from a previous thread:

I know that teams's are adding guys, but let's go out on some limbs here and make some guesses about season projections. I have to look at each team's schedule a little more closely.

Jacupke in my opinion plays QB. Similar style to Dostal, maybe not as fast but Dostal really made some teams look silly with his legs and having a guy like Jordan able to do that similar thing is scary for opposing defenses.

At the end of the season, NWU was a pass first team anyway. First game over/under could be set at 95

The biggest ? for Mside is the QB position. They had an unbelievable season with Nixon and what he did for them, (I think he should have been POY).

In terms of Bartman, his biggest asset was having Smith, without him he is the feature back but also the featured back to stop defensively. NWC needs to find a guy who can be the next Bartman so the real Bartman can take the place of Smith.

BCU's move to the Dakota Dome means they travel for every game. I think this would get old for players and coaches.

Midland is one of my two teams to be on alert for. They are going to need to figure out what offense they are going to run and find some LB's that can play at a high level.

Dordt really found their stride at the end of the year. Have to get kids to keep buying into the system because they can be a tough matchup for teams with the way they run their offense.

DWU is my biggest question mark going in to the season? Who replaces Josh Endres? Can they put someone on the perimeter to make a play on the pass game? Can their defense not give up so many points? I just don't see it from them yet. Sophomore jinx is in full effect in Mitchell.

Concordia is my #1 team to be on alert for. Seems like playing Concordia early in the season is when you have the best shot at them having an off day. They seemed to really get things figured out later in the season with a big win over Northwestern.

Doane has a boat load of talent and adding the transfer from Mside is huge for them. They are my pre-season #2 pick in the conference right after Mside.

Post subject: Re: Early Fall Predictions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 am 
Freshman

Team Record Projections:

Concordia:6-5
Loses-William Jewell, Hastings, Midland, Northwestern, Mside

Neb Wes: 5-5
Loses-Mside, Northwestern, Doane, Concordia, Midland

Dordt: 3-8
Loses-Midland, Mside, Concordia, Neb Wes, Northwestern, Doane, Hastings, DWU

Mside:11-0
Loses-none

Midland:6-4
Loses-Doane, Mside, Hastings, Northwestern

Hastings: 6-4
Loses-Doane, Mside, Northwestern, Neb Wes

Doane: 8-2
Loses-Concordia, Mside

DWU: 4-7
Loses-Northwestern, Hastings, Doane, Mside, Midland, Neb Wes, Concordia

NWC: 8-2
Loses-Doane, Mside

BCU: 0-10
Loses-All GPAC Schools

Conference Standings:
Mside 11-0
Doane 8-2
NWC 8-2
Concordia 6-5
Midland 6-4
Hastings 6-4
Neb Wes 5-5
DWU 4-7
Dordt 3-8
BCU 0-10

This was very quickly, but wanted to get something started. Feel free to attack, bash, or ridicule any games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am 
NAIA MVP

What are you basing those predictions on?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:59 am 
Freshman

collegefball4life wrote:
In Reply to Barry's thoughts from a previous thread:

I know that teams's are adding guys, but let's go out on some limbs here and make some guesses about season projections. I have to look at each team's schedule a little more closely.

Jacupke in my opinion plays QB. Similar style to Dostal, maybe not as fast but Dostal really made some teams look silly with his legs and having a guy like Jordan able to do that similar thing is scary for opposing defenses.

At the end of the season, NWU was a pass first team anyway. First game over/under could be set at 95

The biggest ? for Mside is the QB position. They had an unbelievable season with Nixon and what he did for them, (I think he should have been POY).

In terms of Bartman, his biggest asset was having Smith, without him he is the feature back but also the featured back to stop defensively. NWC needs to find a guy who can be the next Bartman so the real Bartman can take the place of Smith.

BCU's move to the Dakota Dome means they travel for every game. I think this would get old for players and coaches.

Midland is one of my two teams to be on alert for. They are going to need to figure out what offense they are going to run and find some LB's that can play at a high level.

Dordt really found their stride at the end of the year. Have to get kids to keep buying into the system because they can be a tough matchup for teams with the way they run their offense.

DWU is my biggest question mark going in to the season? Who replaces Josh Endres? Can they put someone on the perimeter to make a play on the pass game? Can their defense not give up so many points? I just don't see it from them yet. Sophomore jinx is in full effect in Mitchell.

Concordia is my #1 team to be on alert for. Seems like playing Concordia early in the season is when you have the best shot at them having an off day. They seemed to really get things figured out later in the season with a big win over Northwestern.

Doane has a boat load of talent and adding the transfer from Mside is huge for them. They are my pre-season #2 pick in the conference right after Mside.

Thanks for the review...being new to the conference I enjoyed reading your insights....my son will be going to DWU so have been watching what they are doing more than the other teams right now, though being a football junkie that will change as fall approaches. DWU has some good talent coming in, both sides of the ball. 42 new recruits for coach Cimpl and his staff, not bad and that will grow the size of the roster they have been carrying by quite a bit (that helps special teams a bunch). Been told it's the most talented class they have had. From what I've seen on highlight film there are some very good players at the skill positions coming in, including at running back. If that translates into starters for this season or not will really depend on time the players put in over the summer and camp in August plus how much confidence the coaches have with putting young players on the field. My early guess is the team may surprise some folks but will be in building and experiencing learning mode this season with potential to be conference contenders in subsequent seasons......their heavy road schedule will not help them....on the other hand, they might come out and knock everyone's socks off, you just never know how a team is going to gell when a lot of new talent shows up....going to be fun to watch....thanks again for the insights!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
Freshman

I am basing this off of how teams finished last season and who teams graduated and how big of an impact those seniors made on their team last season. I did not look at who teams are bringing in. It was just something to get a conversation going. I just looked at the schedules and basically said I think this team will be the other. Not a whole lot of research or inside information was taken into account.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 am 
All American

I think DWU is probably about a .500 team or a game or two better only because of their tough schedule this year. My thinking: Jon Bane and Anthony Muilenberg are back for their senior seasons, the team has bought in to Coach Cimpl and I agree that the talent level is increasing at DWU.

DWU took on a tough schedule for 2013 to get a great schedule for 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 am 
Freshman

collegefball4life wrote:
I am basing this off of how teams finished last season and who teams graduated and how big of an impact those seniors made on their team last season. I did not look at who teams are bringing in. It was just something to get a conversation going. I just looked at the schedules and basically said I think this team will be the other. Not a whole lot of research or inside information was taken into account.

Thought your post was a great way to get the discussion going.... :good-post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 am 
Freshman

HoopsJunkie wrote:
I think DWU is probably about a .500 team or a game or two better only because of their tough schedule this year. My thinking: Jon Bane and Anthony Muilenberg are back for their senior seasons, the team has bought in to Coach Cimpl and I agree that the talent level is increasing at DWU.

DWU took on a tough schedule for 2013 to get a great schedule for 2014.

A team buying into a new coach is huge, especially in tight games and road games. If coach Cimpl can build on that and add new/improved talent on the field, DWU might get around that sophomore jinx collegefball4life was posting about....if the team can go 7-4 or 8-3 that would give coach Cimpl a big spring board going into the 2014 season and improve his hand in recruiting....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Freshman

How will the gpac look this year? Any sleeper teams or players? Will M-Side keep it rolling in 2013 with new qb? Any new coaches in the gpac?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:52 am 
Special Teamer

The GPAC this year looks interesting, at this moment in the 2013 season it reminds me of 2011 when Morningside sure was the favorite but there was this great disparity in the league. I think there are way more questions than answers at this moment, not a lot of proven players throughout the league though we will see some faces we are familiar with.

We know that Morningside and Northwestern are the hot picks to win the conference (again) but a quick look through the rest of the league might suggest a dark horse. Morningside just had its best season in school history and if you watch their highlight film on youtube you can see why. That's the good news. The bad news however is that they lost virtually EVERYONE from that team and many of the big time contributors most importantly Joel Nixon who nobody predicted he would do what he did were among them. Gone are the three linebackers Sean Elliot, Chris Calvillo and Taylor Johnson with lone returner being senior Aaron Roberg (who is not a bad one to have) not to mention one of the best run-support safeties the GPAC has ever seen in Jared Goforth. It appears Marcus Smith is gone as well as Keith Chvatal who stepped in nicely in his last season as a Mustang but they do get a solid nose tackle back in Bret Doorenboos. Colby Henderson who was just dynamite is also gone so the defense will green indeed but given the coaching at Morningside I am positive that group will be stout as usual but you don't just lose the caliber of players such as those mentioned and just keep trucking, I expect this group to take a step back.

Offensively, obviously Joel Nixon is gone and he leaves Paul-Bunyon sized shoes to fill for whoever comes next; I don't envy whoever it is. Aside from him however, less was lost offensively than defensively. Fred Jones departs as well as Cole Albright who was a 1st-team GPAC selection but the other offensive weapons remain intact. The big two are Kyle Schuck and Joel McCabe at receiver and tight end/H-back respectively. We will find out this season if those two were as good as they looked last year or if Nixon was the engine that made that train go. I am also looking for two running backs: Jon Halvorson and Josh Gaedke to see expanded roles this year and the offensive line has quite a bit of returning experience also.

If I know Morningside's program like I think I do, I am confident they will be the team to beat again, you also can't underestimate what a season like that will do for recruiting. I look for them to be the front runner though not nearly to the extent that they were in 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:06 am 
Special Teamer

As hard as it might be to fathom how much Morningside lost, Northwestern probably lost even more in terms of experience. Brandon Smith and David Bloemendaal both depart what was the best backfield in the GPAC a season ago. Four of the five up front are also gone, the center is the lone returner. One piece of good news for the Red Raiders is the breakout year Theo Bartman enjoyed. He proved himself to be one of the best, if not the best running back in the conference but much of that production may have been a result of the attention Smith drew but yet another question to which right now we have no answer, the season will show but I think Bartman won't have as big of a year.

Defensively, it starts up front with the loss of conference defensive MVP Jordan Carlson who was a difference maker up front for the Red Raiders but the other two defensive linemen are gone also. The Red Raiders, like Morningside got just nailed by graduation on this side of the ball and the stand outs are gone. Aaron Jansen and Nate Fischer are also gone from the linebacking corps. Isaiah Twitty will expected to step up. Many new faces will checker the Raiders' lineup.

Northwestern is a well-run program and they will plug new prototypical players into their system who will fit and run it well. The deadly habit for Northwestern in recent years has been to be a pretty good team yet lost one game during the regular season to a middle-of the pack team that keeps them or nearly keeps them out of the playoffs. In 2011 it was Doane and last season Concordia. I look for a strong season from Northwestern but I think they will never get past Morningside with the schemes the way they are. Morningside is just too good at defending what Northwestern does.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 am 
Special Teamer

This post goes out to the rest of the teams in the GPAC and which players I look for to be good as well as teams that may have a shot.

I mentioned before that a quick look around the conference might suggest a surge by other teams and there is plenty of intrigue. Can Doane continue to climb after the last two seasons they have had? Will Hastings fizzle down the stretch again after a decent start? Can Midland improve with their young head coach? Can Concordia build off their 2012 success?

First things first, Doane has some great talent coming back in senior linebacker Jeremy Wallace as well as some familiar faces in QB Jeff Weander who could be poised for a breakout campaign in 2013 and OT Dillon Carmichael. This could easily be the year Doane gets it done. Matt Franzen and his staff have done a great job building this program, look for that to continue.

Hastings likely will not be as good of a team in 2013 mainly due to the fact that they lost their best offensive weapon in QB John Dostal, the running game was abysmal last season and likely will be again. The main question with this team is not really a lack of talent but a lack of discipline, a nose dive like the one they took to close the season last year is usually the mark of poor discipline but we will see what the Broncos have in store for 2013.

One team that I don't know if anyone is talking about but they should be is the DWU Tigers. I know they play seven road games and just four home games this season but there is quite a bit to like over there. Jon Bane reunites with All-American wide out Anthony Muilenberg and Arthur Brown is back in the slot/backfield. Three linebackers return from last year's unit with the headliner having to be Brady Bonte who was solid last season as a true freshman. There is a lot of ability at DWU, the question is can they put it together. This defense was pretty young in 2012 but with some seasoning from this last year already under its belt, it could be a good group in 2013.

Von Thomas from Concordia also flashes great playmaking ability but he needs to cut down on costly mistakes. His turnover rate last season was far too high for him to be considered an elite player. If he can fix that problem, he could be the most dynamic player in the conference. Besides that, Concordia must have done something right in the off-season a year ago; that was a much different team physically in 2012 than it had been in years past.

All-in-all here is how I see it stackin' up at the end of it.

1. Morningside
2. Doane
3. Northwestern
4. Dakota Wesleyan
5. Nebraska Wesleyan
6. Concordia
7. Hastings
8. Midland
9. Briar Cliff
10. Dordt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:47 pm 
NAIA MVP

The_Grand_Finale wrote:
As hard as it might be to fathom how much Morningside lost, Northwestern probably lost even more in terms of experience. Brandon Smith and David Bloemendaal both depart what was the best backfield in the GPAC a season ago. Four of the five up front are also gone, the center is the lone returner.

Why is (Davis) Bloemendaal departing? He was a true junior last year. As for O'line, they have Van Voorst who was a starter as a Soph. (sidelined with an injury last year as ajunior), Janota (returning starter), and Pekelder who was the starte last year in the absence of Van Voorst.

The D'line will be hard hit. The LB's will also have some shoes to fill but should be OK. The DB's will be solid. As always, there will be talented newcomers and developing underclassmen to fill in.

There are reasons the Raiders have reeled of 10 straight years of 3 or less losses each year (84-25) and only 2 years in the past 44 with a loosing record going 339-126-5 (20-14 in the playoffs with 5 championship games, 2 national championships and 4 other semifinals). The Raiders are 136-64 all time against current GPAC members with only Morningside holding an edge in head to head competition (favors the Maroon Chiefs 12-9). I don't see a major let down this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:22 pm 
Special Teamer

I stand corrected on Bloemendaal I thought he was a senior but that is good news for the Red Raiders then. You are an insider in the program and you obviously will know things about the offensive line for example and other players. Every program, especially in the NAIA has inside things going on all the time. So now we know they aren't in as much trouble upfront as I thought. I predicted them second in the conference this next year but the main thing I point to as to why I don't expect as strong of a team is just the sheer number of losses in seniors and great players. Like I said though and your stats back it up, Northwestern is a great program and they will have players. It's not like I picked them to finish middle of the pack, second in the conference but right now it's all speculation. I'm not trying to bomb on your team I'm just saying I'm not picking them ahead of Morningside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 pm 
Special Teamer

Or never mind third, I flipped a coin between them and Doane.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:50 am 
NAIA MVP

I know that this is a video of a high school kid but I am pretty pumped about this Raider recruit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_usWvK-8K9Y

John Amodeo (Glendale, Calif.) has signed a letter of intent to continue his football career at Northwestern College next fall.

Amodeo is a 5’11”, 220-pound running back and kick returner who played three years for the Village Christian School football team. A first team all-CIF selection, Amodeo totaled 2,623 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns, averaging 8.5 yards per carry. He was named the league’s most valuable player and a first team all-league pick, also averaging 17.5 yards per catch out of the backfield. Amodeo is a member of the National Honor Society and plans to major in biology/health professions and enter the pre-medicine program at Northwestern. He is the son of Jason and LouAnn.

“John is a big-time addition to our football team,” said head Northwestern football coach Kyle Achterhoff. “He is a big running back with very good speed and can also be a receiver out of the backfield. John has received a lot of attention during his senior year and we are excited that he is going to be a Red Raider.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:49 am 
Freshman

Grand Finale,

Great review :good-post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 am 
Freshman

Morningside is the team that makes this conference......not trying to bash on any of the other teams but I can't see anyone in this conference dethroning Morningside unless they self destruct this year which could happen. But look at the scores from Morningsides games last year.....

Morningside College 62, Briar Cliff 0
Morningside College 50, Concorida (NE) 0
Morningside College 41, Dordt 0
Morningside College 53, Hastings College 23
Morningside College 63, Dakota Wesleyan 7
Morningside College 28, Doane 3
Morningside College 42, Midland 0
Morningside College 35, Nebraska Wesleyan 10
Morningside College 34, Northwestern (IA) 7
Morningside College 49, Valley City State 7

C'mon! their closest conference game was 25 pts........not saying much for the rest of the conference!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Freshman

Diggs1 wrote:
Morningside is the team that makes this conference......not trying to bash on any of the other teams but I can't see anyone in this conference dethroning Morningside unless they self destruct this year which could happen. But look at the scores from Morningsides games last year.....

C'mon! their closest conference game was 25 pts........not saying much for the rest of the conference!

So ONE season determines the quality of an entire conference? Hmmmm, interesting line of thinking.....could it just be that Morningside had one of those teams that was in the right spot, at the right time, with the right mixture of players? Kind of like the Dolphins in 1972....just a thought. Teams and conferences ebb and flow between up years and not so up year, just that simple...so when Morningside falls and another team(s) step into the lead in the conference are they now going to "make the conference" while Morningside is relinquished to mediocrity? Don't think so....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 pm 
Freshman

Just_A_Fan wrote:
Diggs1 wrote:

So ONE season determines the quality of an entire conference? Hmmmm, interesting line of thinking.....could it just be that Morningside had one of those teams that was in the right spot, at the right time, with the right mixture of players? Kind of like the Dolphins in 1972....just a thought. Teams and conferences ebb and flow between up years and not so up year, just that simple...so when Morningside falls and another team(s) step into the lead in the conference are they now going to "make the conference" while Morningside is relinquished to mediocrity? Don't think so....

Good points......but im just basing my statements off of last year and how that will translate to this year.....Morningside had a great team and it showed.....but im just talking about this next upcoming season and the strength of the conference.....a lot can change in one year but Morningside is still the top dog until someone proves to be better